Thursday, February 26, 2009

Marathon, Relay for Life, Chicken Soup, etc.

So far, only Nick and Lee have been diligent about training (in our family, anyway). The girls and I are very sporadic. However, donations for the marathon are coming and it is getting exciting.

Nick has been invited to be a guest survivor speaker at the North Davis County Relay for Life kick-off event on March 7th. We are putting together a short video and working on his speech. We feel we've tapped out our family and friends with the marathon and softball tournament, but we will be putting together a team for the actual relay on July 31st & August 1st. Let us know if you want to be part of the team. I'll post more details about Relay for Life after we attend the kick-off event.

As Nick was honored to speak, I was honored by having my "Moments" essay published in the new "Chicken Soup for the Soul - the Cancer Book" which will be on sale in book stores March 3rd. I have been given permission to sell the books for fundraising purposes (without promotion, however). We will set up a booth/tent at the relay and all the proceeds from the book sales will be earmarked for childhood cancer through the American Cancer Society. This is awesome!

If anyone would like to purchase the book, email me (lorib@quadrantliving.com) - it costs us $7.50/book and we will re-sell for $15.00/book - 100% of the profit will go 50/50 to both CureSearch & First Descents. Is this promoting? Or if you have a special someone that would like it, I would be happy to send to them for free.

Another note of interest - Nick will be attending a Young Adult Survivors Conference in Missoula, Montana in May, hosted by Camp Mak-a-Dream. This is designed for individuals in their 20's & 30's to address issues of survivorship: health care system, advocacy, nutrition, relationships, employment, etc. He is also already signed up for his second trip with First Descents, this time in Wisconsin in July. I'm extremely proud of him embracing his new, stronger identity in making a difference for the future of many young adults. Now that he has stopped saying, "Ow, ow, ow, ow, ow, ow...." as he walked downstairs because his legs were so sore from running 11 miles, he is absolutely loving life. (I'm silently looking up to say, "thank you" again.)

Off to the gym I go...off to the couch is where I want to go...

Lori

2 comments:

Obsessedwithlife said...

Nick-you'll love Camp Makadream! I've been twice. It's awesome :)

Rachel

Anonymous said...

Greetings Lori and family
Jessica is looking forward to running with you and the girls in Nashville. Stan and I are looking forward to cheering for our ambitious family. I'll email you about ordering some books. Many friends and family members have prayed for Nick (and also looked up and said "thank you") over the past two years and I would love to send them a book this Easter.
Godspeed. Aunt Chris